Tuesday 23 August 2016

I WANT TO WEAR MAKE-UP!

My reaction to Balsam of Peru products has changed dramatically over the last 10 years.

For the first few years I continued to wear make-up, but my eyes became more and more sensitive until I could no longer wear anything on my face at all.  I know it's vain, I know it shouldn't be that important, but living in a society where 99% of women wear make-up, one feels a bit naked going out into the world bearing one's true face.

This should not be the way society works.  We should not be conditioned by the media, by advertisements, by comparing ourselves to those around us.  But we are.  It's the way humans work.  We have been taught our whole lives to constantly compare ourselves to others, to be better than others.  We are in constant competition with everyone and everything, and we want to be the best.

But I had to stop.  Either way, I thought I looked horrible.  If I wore mascara, my eyes would puff up, go red and all the skin on my eyelids would flake off.  However, if I didn't wear make-up I looked hideous!

This obviously isn't true, but it has taken me a few years to come to love my natural self.  Most days I will face the world with my full, true self with nothing to hide.  But occasionally there are days or nights or parties where I just want to live up to the competition surrounding me - after all, if we weren't competitive as a species, we wouldn't still be here.

So I started creating my own make-up out of completely natural, scent-free ingredients.

Charcoal Eyeliner

This is so simple but so effective.  It makes me wonder why we even need all the choice of eyeliners, or in fact any make-up, in the shops.  Oh yes, so multimillion dollar companies can monopolize on our need to look like those beautiful women on the front of fashion magazines.  Of course.

So, all you need is:
  • activated charcoal capsules - you can get these from any health food store and if you have indegistion then these will be a double whammy purchase!
  • a few drops of oil such as castor, vitamin e or coconut
  • a spare little make-up pot
Just mix a few capsules of activated charcoal with a couple of drops of oil and press down into an empty, clean pot.  Use a brush to apply.  I usually use a wet brush to apply a more distictive line to my lids.

Coming up... A natural mascara recipe that does not use beeswax!

7 comments:

  1. Similar things happen to my eyes as well when I wear make up. Ive been make-up free for a few years now. I am very eager to read your mascara post!!! I just got a new shipment of small silicone jars/pots with leak proof screw lids and I was thinking of what to put in them... perhaps a batch of home-made eyeliner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please share more! Just learned I have Balsam of Peru allergies. Trying to find a hair product for my fine, flat hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wash my hair with rye flour... It works really well as it's the exact same pH as your skin. White is better than wholegrain, because with wholegrain you may get little bits of grain left in your hair :) although after brushing it's usually fine. Do not use any other type of flour!! Rye has a low gluten content, where as other flours will act like glue in your hair.

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for something like this blog ever since I was diagnosed with an allergy to balsam of Peru. I have already switched to making mostly home-prepared meals, but I keep falling back on the same ones because they're safe and reliable. I'd love to hear what you're eating and what kind of recipes you rely upon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to share the struggles! In addition to balsam of Peru, I am allergic to carmine, shellac, propolis, and formaldehyde. I've had to throw/give away all my makeup. But after much trial and error, I have found that the makeup from VMV Hypoallergenics (recommended by my doc) works very well. Definitely stick with their dye-free options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to share the struggles! In addition to balsam of Peru, I am allergic to carmine, shellac, propolis, and formaldehyde. I've had to throw/give away all my makeup. But after much trial and error, I have found that the makeup from VMV Hypoallergenics (recommended by my doc) works very well. Definitely stick with their dye-free options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ACDS website lists products you can use according to your allergy. My dermatologist gave me a code to enter- they also have an app! It's been super helpful for household products (hair, lotion, makeup, teeth, etc) but not so much diet-wise.

    ReplyDelete